Stuff and Nonsense

Exactly what it says on the tin

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Jane Eyre

I watched the most recent television version of Jane Eyre the other month and much to my surprise I enjoyed it. I usually steer clear of period dramas mainly because they fail to hold my attention but I was flicking through the channels when the first episode of the series was on, I saw the end where Mr Rochesters bed is on fire. For some reason this did get my attention :) so the next sunday I watched the first episode when it was repeated during the afternoon and really found myself loving it and looking forward to the next episodes. So, the week after it had finished, I was browsing through a book shop (I should not be allowed to enter book shops unsupervised, I usually spend too much) when I saw Terry Pratchetts new book which became my dad's Christmas pressie and a table full of books 3 for the price of 2. Jane Eyre was one of the books and I decided that since I enjoyed the TV dramatisation I would give the book a try so I picked it up along with a book by Ivor Baddiel about the Highway Code and QI's book.

Now, I have been burned before with buying books after enjoying the film, as is the case of Dracula, that book was the most painful thing I have ever had to wade through! To my surprise though I am really loving this. I was worried that I would have to keep looking up old fashioned words to get a vague idea of what was going on but it's not like I thought it would be, sure there's words I don't know the meaning of but I've realised I don't need to know what everything means. I love this book and I'm only half way through it.

I might try Jane Austin next

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home