Stuff and Nonsense

Exactly what it says on the tin

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Some People Make Me Sad


As part of my job with the police I send letters out to victims of crime to let them know that someone has been arrested and that they've been given a caution, Fixed Penalty Notice, bailed for further enquiries etc. A couple of weeks ago I sent a letter to a girl who had been raped by her ex partner, I hate sending these letters to victims of sexual assaults because they're so blunt
"Dear XXX, we're sorry you were the victim of rape on such and such a date"
it just doesn't seem the sort of thing you'd want to recieve when you've been through something like that.
The day after I sent the letter I got a phone call from the woman saying she wanted to drop all charges, she had so much on her mind and just couldn't bring herself to go through with it, as I'm not a copper there's nothing I can do when someone wants to drop all charges because a retraction statement has to be taken, so I gave her to information of the officer in charge and told her I'd get him to call her. She sounded so distraught I felt so sorry for her and because I wasn't expecting that sort of phone call at 10am I know I was taken by surprise and didn't handle the call properly.
Anyway, last week I was checking through my arrest logs looking for new victims to traumatise with a letter when I noticed the name of the rape victim, she was given a simple caution for making false allegations. Turns out a week or so before she made the allegation of rape she had been bombarding her ex with texts and he decided to let the poilce know that she had told him she'd tell them that he raped her, he didn't want to press charges but was just giving advance warning. When the copper went round to get her retraction statement she admitted it was all lies. He faced the stigma of being labelled a rapist as well as a probable prison sentence because she wanted to get back at him for leaving her and she only got a simple caution, it just doesn't seem fair to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home